Monday, October 12, 2009

Personal Note


Midway into the family aerobics activity, Collin noticed 7 month old baby Owen hadn't had a turn to call out an exercise. I asked Collin what exercise he thought Owen would choose if he could talk. Collin thoughtfully responded, "Crawling!" So we all got down on our hands and knees and crawled across the room and back.

Owen smiled wide and you could tell he was happy we were all at his level. You could tell it made him feel loved. He didn't crawl with us, even though he could have. He just stared and smiled in amazement. And we all just smiled and laughed back at him. It was one of those moments where you could actually feel your family growing closer together. Very sweet.

Also, I'll officially record the health goals each of us set. We will add pom-poms to our jar each time we succeed, the reward being a family outing to the indoor pool. Dad's goal was to exercise more. Mom wants to go to bed earlier, specifically before 11:00 PM. (I really need more sleep.) Collin set a goal to wash his hands after he goes to the bathroom. Luke needed Mom and Dad to help him choose a goal. We went back and forth about whether it should be teeth brushing or watching less TV. Hmmm.....

By the way, the items we listed for our Mr. Potato Head game included fruits, vegetables, grains, milk products, meat/protein, tobacco/cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, caffeine/coffee, modest clothing, sleep, exercise, washing hands, baths, brushing teeth, tattoos, body piercings, extreme hair styles/faux-hawk, good music, good books/scriptures, violent movies, hugs, touching private parts of the body, etc.

This was a good time to introduce these health concepts to Collin (age 5). He just started kindergarten and is about to experience his first "Red Ribbon Week". I want him to learn to say no to drugs, but I felt it should be taught at home first. Also, Collin has become privy to the faux-hawk hairstyle and has repeatedly asked me to help him make his hair look "spiky". I don't really feel comfortable with my five-year-old son wearing a faux-hawk. I'm hoping these discussions about treating our body with respect will cure him of that. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this! The lesson was awesome, and I especially loved the challenge aspect of it. Of course that's what we should do! Hey, tell Merritt he can do P90X with Allan and me! (For his goal). I also really enjoyed reading the personal note--sweet. -Mim

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think this blog is the best idea april! you are such a good mom! do you mind if i link to it from my blog and put it on my facebook status?

    ReplyDelete